What You Should KNOW
1. Taxicabs that operate in the City and Town of Poughkeepsie must be licensed and have a current license sticker for the current year attached to the rear bumper of the cab. Most cabs are licensed in both the City and the Town. The license requirement is determined where the taxicab picks up fares, not where fares are dropped off.
If you call for a cab from Marist College to another location, the taxi cab must be licensed in the Town of Poughkeepsie.
If you call a cab to pick you up at a location in the City of Poughkeepsie, the taxi cab must be licensed in the City.
If you are dropped off in the City of Poughkeepsie, you have the right to receive a receipt for your fare upon request.
2. Taxi drivers are forbidden to solicit passengers. Town of Poughkeepsie taxi drivers must stay with their vehicles at all times. The City of Poughkeepsie taxi drivers are not allowed to solicit passengers from outside the vehicle.
3. A City of Poughkeepsie taxicab shall not carry any other person then the first person employing the cab unless the first person consents to the acceptance of an additional passenger. The Town of Poughkeepsie does not have any similar provision or regulation for taxicabs.
4. Marist College has designated the Donnelly Parking Lot for taxi cab companies to pick-up and drop-off students between 7 PM and 2 AM. This will give Security the opportunity to monitor the cabs and prevent unwanted noise (beeping) in the residence areas. You have the option to request a member of the SNAP escort service to walk you back to your residence by calling x7627.
What You Should DO
1. Do look for taxicab drivers that have been licensed by both the Town and the City of Poughkeepsie.
2. Do look for a plastic holder affixed to the dashboard, in plain view, that shows the taxicab driver's license, photograph and schedule of fares.
Do look to see that each passenger has his/her own seat and a seat belt (when available). For example: A vehicle designed to carry 8 passengers should only have 8 passenger seats.
4. Do Note: All Marist student complaints will be investigated with appropriate action taken.
Call the City of Poughkeepsie Police Department, 451-4000 if licensed by the City.
Call the Town of Poughkeepsie Town Clerk, 485-3620 if licensed by the Town.
NOTE: Marist Security has no authority to monitor taxi licenses or take action against owners/operators in regard to violations of City or Town laws; however we will assist you in filing a complaint with the appropriate municipal agency.
This information was provided to you by your Student Government Association, Office of Safety and Security, City and Town of Poughkeepsie Police Departments and the Division of Student Affairs.